A taste of comfort for the holidays and the winter months to follow.
When I see a recipe titled Carrot and Leek Soup, it makes me think of a fancy soup only reserved for dinner guests.
But this week my two kids proved to me that doesn’t need to be the case. Their spoons made short work of this so-called “fancy” carrot soup (minus the chives) when I served it alongside not-so-fancy toasted bagels with melted cheese.
The nutrient-rich carrots, the mild onion flavor of the leeks, along with the hint of cinnamon and ginger give this soup a sophisticated taste. The flavor also that happens to appeal to my son, and my daughter - who doesn’t even like carrots.
And that is the beauty of pureed soup - its smooth texture and taste is refined enough to serve as a starter dish for special occasions, and it disguises the healthy stuff which gives the kids the courage to sink their spoon into it!
Carrot and Leek Soup
MAKES: 6 to 8 helpings
HANDS-ON TIME: 15 to 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
* Recipe from The Cook-a-Palooza Experience Cookbook. In the cookbook this recipe is titled Comforting Carrot Ginger Soup, but it is really the leeks that provide the mild and unique taste - hence the update in the name.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3½ cups chopped carrots
- 1½ cups sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp. each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh chives to garnish
2. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot. Whisk in the sour cream. Ladle soup into a serving bowl and garnish with chives. Enjoy!
Hi I'm Brent! The recipes you will find on this blog are direct lifts from meals my family and I have enjoyed, favorite dinners my mom fed me, along with a few greatest hits from my cookbook - and some boiled down wisdom on how to get dinner on the table in a tactically efficient, stress-free way.
| Get Weekly Updates | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube