Teriyaki Beef Stew with diced vegetables and plenty of savory sauce to fill your spoon!
This Teriyaki Beef Stew is an amalgamation of the beef stew recipe from The Cook-a-Palooza Experience cookbook and a cooking tip my mom let out of the bag when we were talking food on the front step of my house. I learned the difference maker between our stews is a herb she considers essential in saucy beef dishes.
In the past, dried dill was not a herb I would reach for when preparing beef stew...or a Teriyaki beef stew for that matter...that has now changed. The proof is in the bowl!
Tender Teriyaki Beef Stew
MAKES: 6 to 8 helpings
HANDS-ON TIME: 20 to 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 3 to 4 hours in slow cooker
* I brown the meat, and slightly cook the vegetables in a skillet before I transfer them to a slow cooker to cook. You can just as easily do all the steps in a large pot and let the stew simmer for 40 to 60 minutes in the pot or until the beef is tender.
- 2 lbs (907 g) stewing beef
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. canola oil, divided
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup each, diced carrots and diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. dried dill
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb (454 g) small white potatoes, peeled and quartered
2. In a large deep skillet, heat 2 tsp. of oil over medium heat. Add half the beef to pot and cook the pieces until they are well browned on one side, about two minutes. Stir beef to brown another side, about two minutes longer. Transfer browned meat to your slow cooker. Repeat the process with the remaining oil and beef.
3. In the same deep skillet, add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to your slow cooker.
4. Pour beef broth in skillet. Add oregano, rosemary, dill, teriyaki sauce, and tomato paste.Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture and scrape up any flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour broth mixture into slow cooker. Add potatoes to the slow cooker and submerge them in the broth. Sink a bay leaf in the broth and then cover slow cooker with lid. Set slow cooker to HIGH and cook until beef and vegetables are tender, about 3 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaf, and lightly season with salt and pepper (if necessary) before serving.
Hi I'm Brent! The recipes you will find on this blog are direct lifts from meals my family and I have enjoyed, favorite dinners my mom fed me, along with a few greatest hits from my cookbook - and some boiled down wisdom on how to get dinner on the table in a tactically efficient, stress-free way.
| Get Weekly Updates | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube