Friday, August 7, 2009
What You Oughta Know
On this day in 1995 Alanis Morissette topped the billboard charts with her hit single You Oughta Know. The lyrics of the song seem to be about a bitter relationship but I think they should refer to what we oughta know about the food we eat.
For instance you oughta know that:
- Sugar, fat and salt are what make food compelling and indulgent.
- The food industry knows this and creates dishes based on this fact.
- The effect on you is this combination leads to a roller coaster effect in your mouth and that sensory experience captures you.
- Eating becomes a thrill ride and keeps you coming back for more.
Now that you know, here’s what you can do.
- Use pre-packaged meals for back-up purposes only. Keep track of what you eat so you don’t get captured by the pre-packaged food spell.
- Plan you meals ahead of time. I know you here this again and again but it does work. Chaos is what always drives us back to conveyer-belt meals and take-out.
- Pair unhealthy food with a stream of unappealing images. (I once saw a picture of Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones in a speedo and that pretty much turns me off of anything)
- Use reminders like the red, green and yellow cards to put you back on the healthy eating track.
- Have an attitude. When you encounter an unhealthy meal, show it the hand and say “I don’t need you! You need me and I ain’t gonna let you mess with my awesomeness.” Then just keep walking.
Want to know more? Check out David Kessler’s book The End of Overeating.
* * * *
The Kitchen Roadie